Despite the healing properties of massages, there may be circumstances in which it is advisable not to massage (certain areas). These circumstances are called general and local contra-indications. It is then not wise to do a massage as the body is busy fighting off a virus or infection and it therefore cannot supply the needed energy to dispose of the bodily waste that’s being released due to a massage. When in doubt, ask your doctor if you may be massaged.
If a massage at this moment is not suitable for you, I recommend a Reiki treatment.
GENERAL CONTRA INDICATIONS:
Massages are prohibited in the case of e.g.:
- Antibiotics (consult your doctor).
- Hart problems (consult your doctor).
- Blood thinners (consult your doctor).
- Medication with a yellow warning label (consult your doctor).
- First 3 months of a pregnancy.
- Unknown and extreme pain.
- Cancer (consult your doctor, in some cases a massage can just the right thing).
- Furuncles, boils.
- Generally feeling unwell.
- Extreme fatigue or exhaustion
- Contagious skin condition
- Infections like the influenza, a cold or inflammation of the throat.
- Extreme physical problems (only after consultation with the practitioner).
LOCAL CONTRA INDICATION
It’s better not to massage certain areas in the case of:
- Acute trauma, injuries, bruises or swelling.
- Inflammations or tumours.
- Thickening with an unknown cause.